Dizygotic Twins: Quarkus 3 and Wildfly 28
Jakarta EE 10 and MicroProfile 6
In the last couple of weeks both Wildfly 28 and Quarkus 3 were released, and with respect to Jakarta EE 10 and MicroProfile 6 they are dizygotic twins:
- Jakarta EE 10
- Wildfly supports all EE profiles: Jakarta EE Platform, Jakarta EE Web Profile and Jakarta EE Core Profile
- Quarkus supports the Jakarta EE Core Profile (this is part of MicroProfile 6)
- MicroProfile 6
- Wildfly 28 supports basically everything from the microprofile “umbrella” (the left box) and in addition also LRA and Reactive, except MP Metrics
- Quarkus supports everything from the “umbrella” AND the “standalone” specifications, but OpenTracing and Metrics are deprecated; and note that for OpenTelemetry you need to use an (official) extension.
Observability: Metrics and OpenTelemetry
Already two and a half year ago, Quarkus started to recommend MicroMeter over MicroProfile Metrics.
Now Wildfly 28 does a somewhat drastic step, it added support for MicroMeter and OpenTelemetry and removed MP Metrics and MP OpenTracing, see the Wildfly 28 Announcement.
Quarkus and Maven
- Quarkus 3 now supports Maven 3.9
- To display the dependencies of a Quarkus application you can use
mvn quarkus:dependency-treeinstead of