iSync Phone Plugin for Motorola C350

Nicht jedes Motorola C350 ist gleich. Einige werden von iSync erkannt, meines nicht; mit einem selbstgeschriebenen Plugin klappt es aber doch noch.

According to the iSync Device List, the Motorola C350 is supported by iSync. But my phone was not found.

There are small differences between the supported model and mine. Using USB Prober[1] my device announces itself as:

Device VendorID/ProductID:   0x22B8/0x5802   (Motorola PCS)

whereas iSync expects[2] a ProductID of 0x3802 for the C350.

Instead of editing the iSync plist file I created an iSync Plugin as Rui Carmo described in his detailed iSync Plugins Howto.

Download

From http://pesche.schlau.ch/isync/motorola-c350a.html or through this direct link.

Installation

Copy the MotorolaC350a.phoneplugin folder into one of these folders:

• /Library/PhonePlugins (makes the plugin available for all users)
  • ~/Library/PhonePlugins

Then plug the phone with the data cable, restart iSync and Add Device… and the phone should be found immediately.

Update 2006-02-04

There are now at least two sites providing iSync Phone Plugins (which I haven’t tested):

[1] Installed as part of the Apple Developer Tools in /Developer/Applications/Utilities/USB Prober

[2] This file has a rather long path:

/Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources/MetaClasses.plist

This entry was posted in Mobile Life, OS X/Windows/Linux, Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to iSync Phone Plugin for Motorola C350

1. Parimal says:

I have a Motorola C550. The product ID is slightly different. Here’s what System Profiler shows:

Version: 0.01
    Bus Power (mA): 500
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: Motorola Inc.
    Product ID: 0x3802
    Vendor ID: 0x22b8

Do you think I could modify the plugin to make it work with this phone? 😮 Hope it doesn’t require the original data cable, I’m using Sony’s.

2. Parimal says:

Alright, thanks for the tips in the original post. Here’s the hack that makes the Motorola C550 work with iSync. I used version 2.1.1.

HOW-TO:

Open “/Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources” in Finder.

I modified C350 for this and created a new entry for C550. Use the MOTOE398.tiff icon (rename to MOTOC550.tiff) and modify MetaClasses.plist.

Put this under the C350’s container.

com.motorola.C350

ServiceProperties

ModelName
    C550
    PhoneIcon
    MOTC550.tiff

Connect C550, open iSync and Add Devices. It’ll show up! 😀

I can’t believe it, my first ever hack in OS X 😛 So I’ll add this: “Hack by Parimal Satyal”. Thanks Peter for the help!

3. Pesche says:

The better solution would be to modify my Plugin, not the iSync Application – or you lose your hack with the next iSync update. Steps:

• Install my plugin in ~/Library/PhonePlugins
    • Rename it to MotorolaC550.phoneplugin (or whatever you like)
    • Repeat your modifications of the iSync MetaClasses.plist file with the file ~/Library/PhonePlugins/MotorolaC550.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources/MetaClasses.plist
    • Restart iSync
  4. Parimal says:

Ah, thank you 🙂

Now to find a way to transfer photos 😉

5. Julia says:

Sounds interesting. So can I do a plugin for EVERY phone? I have a Motorola MPX200 (Windows Smartphone) and there’s no (comfortable) way to sync (so far..).

6. Pesche says:

@Julia: You can do a plugin for phones that are similar to phones already supported by iSync. As your phone is a Windows Smartphone, you will have probably more success using The Missing Sync, as Apple documents in the iSync Devices List (Category PDA/Pocket PC).